Thursday, February 14, 2008

There are so many things to consider throughout the day: How much should I spend on lunch? Is this the quickest way, or is there a short-cut I don't know about? What is the best spin to put on this line of text? Did I make the most of my day? Do I deserve to relax? Do I take into consideration my friend's feelings enough? Am I a people pleaser to my own detriment?...

These are the thoughts, among others, of my day today.

Its a funny thing, theatre. Twice today I ran into bouts of negativity in my workplace.

Firstly, we were sitting having sandwiches in a little cafe near London Bridge Station. We were chatting about careers as actors and taking money over art or balancing the two. The negative vibe I got was when my cast-mate refered to the business of acting as too much of a money-making scheme and not enough as a craft. My opinions at the moment I realise many "seasoned" actors don't hold anymore. Perhaps they did when they were my age, but years in the trade may have worn it out of them. I firmly believe in the craft of acting as an ongoing life-long endeavor that shapes your life as much as your life shapes your art. This is so important to hold on to. I suppose as I come up to new opportunities and it comes time to decide for myself when I'm in the driver's seat, I will have to face them in a new light, but I'm pretty sure its good to have a notion of values before that day comes, so when it does (and it will) I will be well equipped.

The second negative vibe was out of a very useful conversation I had with a cast-mate from Canada. She was telling me a bit more about the differences between America and the UK. The minimum pay in the UK is so much lower than in the US it is unbelievable. Obviously a major contributing factor in why "Gone With The Wind" is debuting in the West End instead of Broadway: try it out first where it's cheap so you know if you can sell it in New York. But then my cast-mate deftly swapped the negativity into positivity by making note of the kudos that comes with London theatre. Things can be done in London that cannot be done in New York... magnificent experimental projects that excite and dazzle the mind in a much different form than across the pond.

Being cast in the world premier of a very-much talked about musical directed by Trevor Nunn is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. Yet, within the first 2 days of rehearsals another friend who was in Les Miserables last year made a comment about how I will be coveting larger roles within the first months of performance. So after waiting for months in nervous anticipation of this great opportunity, do I take that on-board and look forward to a career of always wanting "that other role"? Hell no! Wishing we had "that other role" is like unto "wanting to be 'that guy'". I'm pretty damn happy with being me, thank you very much. If my role is small at the moment, maybe there are 101 reasons why i'm wrong for the other ones. All I know is that I'm working with a director that none of the teachers and lecturers I look up to have ever worked with. I'm doing something right.

I'm younger than I think I am and I think that's a good thing. I'll be prepared for what comes. Who would think I'd be talking like Scarlett O'hara in the first week of rehearsals.

xA

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote with you, not with your buddies! Stick with the craft, and with your questions - the rest will follow as the night the day...
Love you.
Kate

2:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes sonny-boy, you are wise beyond your years. Your passion for the craft is encouraging to all those who know you. Thanks for being you.

Love,Pop

3:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home