Sunday, July 30, 2006

Here we are at a very exciting time in life...

Tony and I are now living together in perfect harmony...(almost).

I have (earlier in the month) performed in the 50th Anniversary Production of Bernstein's 'Candide' at the Wales Millennium Centre with the Welsh National Opera's Youth Opera straddling the roles of Voltaire and Pangloss. I had the responsibility of narrating the entire musical and singing some solos throughout. With only 3 performances and very little rehearsal time, I had a huge task ahead of me, which I rose to and because I put all the work in throughout the entire rehearsal process, the performances were a joy. Though I never got the entire script perfect, the meaning of the story was clear and the pace was fluent and made the 3 hour performance fly by. The ensemble cast was amazing, managing to sing intricate harmonies, belt out high notes, and skillfully wielding heavy scenery with ease. John Caird adapted the original into a new version that is much more true to Voltaire's original satire by the same name. We were honored to have John Caird attend the closing performance and stay for a few drinks in the bar afterwards. I had a nice chat with him about the role I played and a bit of banter about where I'm from and what might lie in my future. He was a very warm man with a good outlook on things, not to mention he was very complimentary of our show. The director, Nik Ashton conducted rehearsals with a great deal of (what I now see as) genius. He managed to direct the ensemble in such a way that everyone was working together and in the same direction, so the story was fluent because everyone took the responsibility for the telling of the story and knew how to help and adapt if something went a bit awry. Though many of the cast were in their mid-teens they were very professional and took great pride in their work. It was a tremendous joy to work with so many amazing voices. Once 'Candide' finished I wrote off to a few musical theatre agents, and immediately got a call off one requesting a meeting. I'll be taking in a brief singing demo and discussing our potential future together. I'm very optimistic because of how keen he seemed when he phoned me personally the day after I sent the letter with my headshot and cv (resume).

Yesterday, I had an audition for the amateur leg of the BBC's Voice of Musical Theatre Competition at the Wales Millennium Centre. In the afternoon session, there were 3 groups of about 20 and we all learned an extract from a Broadway musical. My group learned 'Another Opening, Another Show' from 'Kiss Me, Kate'. At the end of our hour long session a small group of responsible for casting came in and chose only 5 of the 20 to have a recall. There were 6 from and 2 from the other two groups. In the recall everyone was to sing one prepared song of their choice in front of the casting panel. I pushed my nerves aside and had fun. I walked into the audition room (oddly enough, the same room I rehearsed 'Candide') happy and optimistic. I shared a bit of light-hearted banter with the panel and when they asked what I was going to sing for them, I told them I had two pieces they could choose from and they told me they didn't mind. I sang 'A Bit of Earth' from 'The Secret Garden'. As I sang, the panel's smiles of politeness turned into smiles of enjoyment (when I auditioned for Les Mis, the smiles of politeness remained as smiles of politeness and nothing more). They chatted between themselves and when I finished, to my amazement asked to hear the beginning of the other piece, 'Proud Lady' from 'The Baker's Wife'. It is much more fun and up-tempo than 'A Bit of Earth' and I gave it my best. When they stopped me, they said that they wanted to hear more, but didn't need to. We then shared some more light conversation and then the woman on the panel asked, being from Texas, how I would be able to stay and work in this country. When I flashed the ring on my finger she gave me a high-five. All three of them seemed pleased and as I floated out of the room a man stopped me and introduced himself as Nik's partner, the director of 'Candide', who then complimented me on my performance in the show. Needless to say I was buzzing as I left and I wished all the other applicants good luck as I wandered out to the bus stop in a very dream-like state. I know I may have sounded a bit egocentric just now, but if you have every been in a bad audition (which I have been in) when you have an audition that you know you did your best, there is almost no greater high. Whatever happens with the outcome, I know I could not have done any better than what I did, and that feels good.

I may be living in the French Alps for 3 or 4 months starting in December. A new band I'm singing in is recording a demo this week, which we will send to a Band Management Agency and if they like what they here (which we feel pretty confident about) we will be playing around resorts in the Alps during ski season. We get paid a lot just for playing a few sets in the nights and we have all day to do what we want. I've always wanted to learn how to ski. So though its not set in stone yet, I'm very hopeful and optimistic. Four months of good pay will give me and Tony enough to move to London! Not to mention if we get this gig, it ensures that we'll have the odd gig whenever we are needed around the UK.

I just hope things keep going my way... Who knows, I could be in a film next!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate Winner said...

Oh, BOY!!!

This sounds SO wonderful. I just know that all will go your way!

And the Swiss Alps! too cool. You will absolutely fall in love with skiing! For this endeavor, however, DO NOT 'break a leg'.

luv u, dearie

4:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home