Saturday, February 25, 2006

Here I am in a weird limbo of sorts. I've just performed in four showcases: one in Cardiff, one in Manchester, and two in London. So far, half of my colleagues have had a phone call from an agent even if they have no interest in that particular agent. It's just good to have interest, huh? Well, so far, I've come up dry. Dry as a lizards decaying skeleton in the Sahara. But our head of acting assures us that some established agents like to take a couple of weeks to think things over and then show a little interest and come see the upcoming show. So there is still hope! Now I don't mean to sound depressed, down-hearted, or otherwise melancholy, but it is scary when you know some of your other friends have spoken to some very good agents already and some already have auditions or have been invited to script readings. Now comes the part where I risk sounding like an egotistical big-head... I know I have a particularly exceptional talent for acting. I'm simply annoyed that I didn't have anyone call yet, but I know that the showcases are not actually about the acting. You have two minutes and twenty seconds to show yourself. Most agents are looking for a face to put in their books that they don't already have. If you act like Richard Burton reincarnate, they don't necessarily give a toss if you look like somebody they already have on their books. So I am a very happy man despite the lack of immediate response. I have rehearsals for the musical coming up on Monday. I'm most excited about my upcoming role as Bobby in Sondheim's "Company". It is my chance to shine. More agents come to see the final show than to any of the others combined, simply because it is the show that follows the showcase. So they see all of our faces in the showcase and can then come and see if we can act or if our successful two minutes and twenty seconds on stage was just a fluke. Whoever hasn't heard the soundtrack of "Company" should go out now and listen to it at least three times in a row. I say that because the first time I heard music from it was sometime last year and I didn't originally give it the time of day, but soon, very soon, it grew to be one of my favorite musicals. Having the lead in it also makes it high on my list of fancied pieces of theatre. Soon I'll be sacheting around a grand stage singing of loneliness and of a hope to find the woman who will bring me happiness and everything else that comes with a relationship. Bobby is the only single man amongst his married friends. He spends the play observing his friends' ups and downs and we get a lot of great, complex, and stirring music throughout. So I have a whole deck of cards up my sleeve. I'm getting ready to jump right into the middle of professional British theatre. Stand back; I don't want this to get messy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home