Monday, February 27, 2006

Closing in on the final few months of my college life. I cannot believe it has gone so quickly. London is now my new destination. My plan is to be moved into a flat in london before 2007. I graduate from here in July and Tony (my partner) and I will then figure out when we will have saved enough money and when he can transfer jobs. I'm working on being able to live without worry because I know that I enjoy the spontaneity of life when I don't fight the current and let life take its course. So far, I have a bit of a biography started in my head if anyone wants to start an 'E True Hollywood Story'. Basically, I grew up in a very conservative environment with a loving family who took care of me and met all my physical and psychological needs. I found great stability in the church and followed a Southern Baptist Lifestyle. Always with an affinity towards performance and the stage, I admired great actors of film because the stage was too far away for me to travel to. Great Actors of my early memory: Tom Hanks, Morgan Freeman, Robin Williams, and several others. A film that always reminds me of my childhood fanasies and hopes of one day being on the screen is 'Hook'. From an early age I've had support and recognition for having a particular knack for stage pressence. So I went to a High School renouned for its exemplary theatre class. Whilst there I performed in everything play produced. It was in my Junior year of High School when I first tasted the desire to study theatre exclusively in the United Kingdom. As I got closer to graduation my dream came true after my mother flew over with me to audition at the desirable Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama. The month after I auditioned, I received written word that I was accepted onto the course that began in the Autumn of the following year. The ecstasy drove me through to the end of my high school life. During my final year of high school my ground-shaking realization of my sexuality changed my beliefs drastically. All my life I bought into the dogmatic balderdash that homosexuality is an abomonation, a sin that must be repented of. Since 'coming out' I've questioned much of Southern America's Christianity, and have adopted a much more liberal view of my faith. I will never throw out the teachings I've learned that support morality and human equality. So am I a Christian? I think so, and frankly, I don't care if you don't. So, now in my third and final year at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, I've trained more extensively than I think I ever could have in an American university. British drama training has a reputation of being the best in the world, and because the culture here still embraces the theatre, I see the reputaion as being upheld. I've made friends with people I would have never imagined. I have also fallen in love with a beautiful French man. Tony and I will be moving to London together this year. I have never felt for anyone what I feel for him. Our pasts, cultural identities, callings in life, and languages are completely different from each other, yet somehow that brings us to love each other all the more. In our case, opposites definitely attract. Because of this love, I will not be moving to my home country anytime in the forseeable future. I want to start a life here for now. Tony and my relationship is recognised here as being as legitimate as a relationship between a man and a woman, whereas in America it is not. I would love to move back to America someday. There's simply no way of knowing right now what will happen in my future other than the fact that I don't have to face it alone. I'm slightly scared of the future, but only scared enough to propel me on to be successful. I'm actually very excited about the months to come. Very excited indeed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate Winner said...

It's nice to catch up on the news with you. What a grand stepping-off point you are reaching.

I'm really glad to read that you've broadened you religious stance, and (just so you know)it's not just 'southern' America...it's 'fundamental' Christianity, and fundamentalism everywhere. Fundamentalists are extremists - just one end of a huge pendulum.

I'm confident you'll do very well in the future, and I'm happy to know you like 'going with the flow'. That really is the way to live.

Good luck to you and Tony, always,
love you.

3:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch, I choose not to believe you'll be going away to London and leaving what I have as a picture perfect in my mind. I choose to be oblivious, and will make blow-up dolls of You and Tony and have it stand in the living room!
Viva l'arte!

1:43 am  
Blogger Kate Winner said...

Where are you?
What's up?
Post, please.

Your loving queer auntie,

11:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home